After clicking "Start Class", students that are using a device that has the LanSchool Air agent installed correctly will automatically appear as Online. Refer to
Viewing Student Thumbnails
to learn more about the different types of thumbnail images you might see for different scenarios.
If student devices are appearing in your class as "Offline", refer to the following steps to troubleshoot what could be causing this.
Steps for Teachers
Ensure the LanSchool Air Agent is on the Student Device
If a student is using a personal device, it's possible that the LanSchool Air client was not installed on that device. Check with your Site Administrator for more details.
For students using Chromebooks:
- The LanSchool Air app should be open and running in the student's App Shelf
- If not, open the Chrome browser on the student's Chromebook and go to chrome://extensions.
- Both LanSchool Air for Chromebooks and LanSchool Air Extension for Chromebooks should be listed. If one or both are not, contact your LanSchool Air Site Administrator. They can refer to the deployment instructions for Chromebooks.
For students using Windows or MacOS devices:
- The LanSchool Air app should be visible in the system tray or notification area. If the icon is there, the agent is running.
- If the LanSchool Air app does not appear in the system tray or notification area, contact your LanSchool Air Site Admin and ask for the client to be re-installed.
Check Student Client Status
After confirming that the LanSchool Air agent is installed and running on the student's device, from the student's device, click on the icon and look for a green, yellow, or red status icon. Click on that icon to see more information. For more information, see
Viewing Student Client Status
If the student client status is yellow or red, click on the icon for more information and contact your LanSchool Air Site Admin to help you troubleshoot. The client may need to be reinstalled, or there may be a restriction in place preventing the student from connecting.
If the student client status is green, the client is connected successfully. Confirm that the student is in your class roster and is logged in to their device with the correct username. Then try restarting the class.
Restart the Student's Device
In many cases, if the LanSchool Air client was successfully installed previously, but the student is suddenly appearing as Offline, restarting the student's device may resolve the issue.
For students using Chromebooks:
- Ask the student to select the time in the bottom right corner
- Click the Shut Down option
- Press the Power button on the device to turn the device back on
- At the Sign In screen, ask the student to login again with their school-managed account
For students using Windows:
- Ask the student to open the Start menu
- Select the Power button
- Select the Restart option
- After the device restarts, ask the student to login again with their school-managed account
Clear the Student's Profile from a Chromebook
If the student is using a Chromebook and is consistently appearing as "offline" in class, try removing and re-adding the student's user profile on the Chromebook.
- Have the student sign out of the Chromebook
- On the sign-in screen, click the profile that you want to remove
- Select the arrow to the right of the student's name
- Select Remove This Person
- When prompted to confirm, select Remove
- To re-add them, select Add Person in the lower left corner
- Ask the student to sign back into the Chromebook
- All extensions and settings should be refreshed for the student.
Ensure the Student or Device is in your Class Roster
Students who are logged in to Chromebooks are added to the roster
. Students who are logged in using Windows or Mac devices must be added to the roster
. For more information, see the "Add Students or Devices to the Class Roster" section of
Creating and Managing Classes
Classes imported into LanSchool Air from Google Classroom only support Chromebook students at this time.
From the My Classes page:
- Select the Settings icon on the class card. The CLASSROOM SETTINGS page opens.
- Select STUDENTS. A list of students in the roster displays.
- Ensure that the student name or device is listed. To find students quickly, use the Search for a student search field.
- If the student is not listed, select the Add Student Devices button
- On the REGISTERED tab, search for the student or device and select the checkmark next to their name. Then select FINISH ADDING.
- If the student or device is not listed, check with your site administrator to see about getting LanSchool Air installed on that student's device.
Steps for Site Administrators
After following the Steps for Teachers items above (confirm the client is installed, check client status), Site Admins can troubleshoot further by referencing the following steps:
Ensure the Student Appears in the Students List
From the LanSchool Air left navigation menu, select
SETTINGS > STUDENTS. The list of students displays on the right. If the student is not in the list, the student's device license has not been provisioned. Follow the steps in the next section.
Open the Provisioning Window
- From the LanSchool Air left navigation menu, select SETTINGS > PROVISIONING.
- Toggle the switch to open the provisioning window and set it to stay open longer.
- Ask the student to log in again to the student device. The student device should re-provision. If the device does not re-provision, follow the steps in the next section.
Check the Network and Firewall Settings
Refer to the
LanSchool Air System Requirements
and ensure that all necessary URLs are allowed by your network firewall, security appliance, proxy, or content filter.
Ensure cookies are allowed for Chromebook students
Refer to Mass Deploying LanSchool Air for Chromebooks for more details on settings to confirm in the Google Admin console.
- Login to Google Admin
- Navigate to Devices > Chrome > Settings > Users & browsers
- Select the OU that contains your student user accounts
- In the Content section, next to Cookies, apply [*.]lenovosoftware.com to Allow cookies for URL patterns. This allows the LanSchool Air student application to connect to the server if the student happens to block all cookies in the Chrome browser.
- Click SAVE
Check the Organization's License
- To check the organization's license status, log in to LanSchool Air and navigate to SETTINGS > LICENSING on the left navigation menu.
- If an organization has significantly exceeded the limit of licensed students, LanSchool Air will not provision new students. Contact email@example.com for help with correcting the issue. In many cases, purchasing additional licenses is not required.
Viewing Student Client Status
Overview If a student device is appearing as offline, check the status of LanSchool Air client installed on the student's device to make sure it's provisioned and connected. To see the current status of the student client, open the LanSchool Air chat ...
Why can't I see a student? A number of issues can cause a student to appear as offline or their screen to not be visible. For a list of fixes to try, see Troubleshooting Offline Students. Why are some macOS student devices appearing as Online, but I ...
Viewing Student Screens
Overview When a class has started in Grid View or Group View, the teacher will see thumbnail size images of each student's screen along with a status message indicating whether the student is online, offline, or in a different state. While in ...
LanSchool Air Setup Guide
Who Should Use this Guide? LanSchool Air site administrators responsible for installing LanSchool Air on student devices, configuring admin settings, and inviting instructors. What Does This Guide Cover? This guide provides instructions for: ...
Importing Class Rosters from CSV Files
Overview CSV Import offers an an alternative solution for classroom roster management within LanSchool Air. It allows for Site Admins to import data from CSV files to populate LanSchool Air with class rosters on behalf of teachers. Currently, site ...